Senior Data Visualization Developer
Jul. 2020 – Present
- Developed features for simplifying complex data workflows.
- Taught data visualization to thousands of data practitioners.
- Built open source community and examples for d3.js and Observable Plot.
Senior UX Engineer
Jul. 2016 – Jun. 2020
- Developed data-driven tools supporting 300+ person design team.
- Open-sourced 50 million Quick, Draw drawings with the Creative Lab
- Co-authored 4 publications on Distill.
Jul. 2015 – Jul. 2016
Developed open source developer tool Block Builder via a successful Kickstarter campaign.
Working on a variety of custom data visualization and app development projects for clients.
Jul. 2012 – Jul. 2015
- First hire, founding software engineer.
- Designed and built the original data infrastructure
- Designed and built reporting features used by largest customers
- Built internal tools still in use when acquired for $500m in 2022
Aug. 2011 – Jun. 2012
Prototyped a variety of data visualization tools.
Summer Student Intern
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Aug. 2009 – Aug. 2011
- Distributed GPU computing with OpenCL and MPI for particle advection for Computational Fluid Dynamics visualizations.
GIS Web Programmer
Florida Resources and Environmental Analysis Center
Oct. 2003 – Aug. 2009
Designed and implemented geospatial data tools.
Florida State University
2011 M.A. Computational Science
2009 B.S. Applied Mathematics, B.A. Chinese Language